THE SWEDISH VALLHUND SOCIETY
GENERAL CODE OF ETHICS
All members of the SWEDISH VALLHUND SOCIETY undertake to abide by its general Code of Ethics.
1) Will properly house, feed, water and exercise all dogs under their care and arrange for appropriate veterinary attention if and when required.
2) Will agree without reservation that any veterinary surgeon who performs an operation on any of their dogs which alters the natural conformation of the animal, or who carries out a caesarean section on a bitch, may report such operation to the Kennel Club.
3) Will agree that no healthy puppy will be culled. Puppies which may not conform to the Breed Standard should be placed in suitable homes.
4) Will abide by all aspects of the Animal Welfare Act.
5) Will not create demand for, nor supply, puppies that have been docked illegally.
6) Will agree not to breed from a dog or bitch which could be in any way harmful to the dog or to the breed.
7) Will not allow any of their dogs to roam at large or to cause a nuisance to neighbours or those carrying out official duties.
8) Will ensure that their dogs wear properly tagged collars and will be kept leashed or under effective control when away from home.
9) Will clean up after their dogs in public places or anywhere their dogs are being exhibited.
10) Will only sell dogs where there is a reasonable expectation of a happy and healthy life and will help with the re-homing of a dog if the initial circumstances change.
11) Will supply written details of all dietary requirements and give guidance concerning responsible ownership when placing dogs in a new home.
12) Will ensure that all relevant Kennel Club documents are provided to the new owner when selling or transferring a dog, and will agree, in writing, to forward any relevant documents at the earliest opportunity, if not immediately available.
13) Will not sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers, retail pet dealers or directly or indirectly allow dogs to be given as a prize or donation in a competition of any kind. Will not sell by sale or auction Kennel Club registration certificates as stand alone items (not accompanying a dog).
14) Will not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the breed nor falsely advertise dogs nor mislead any person regarding the health or quality of a dog.
15. As a member of the Swedish Vallhund Society before breeding from my dog/bitch I will agree to join the Kennel Club’s Assured Breeder Scheme and abide by their rules and guidelines.
16. I will only breed from those dogs and bitches believed to be clear from known hereditary defects and which are mentally stable and fit for purpose.
17. A dog/bitch used for breeding shall have been hip x rayed and scored under the BVA/KCHD scheme and shall not have a total score of more than 20, differential hip scores shall be as even as possible, save in extraordinary circumstances to be agreed with the Swedish Vallhund Society breed health committee.
18. Bitches and dogs used for breeding shall have been eye tested and obtain any certificates required at the time by the Kennel Club schemes.
19. All breeding dogs and bitches to have swabs sent to the Animal Health Trust for the future genetic testing into any health problems that may/could arise.
20. As the owner of a bitch: I will only breed from healthy, mature bitches and conscientiously plan each litter. Save in extraordinary circumstances and under veterinary advice, bitches shall not be mated prior to 2 year of age and not bred from after their 8th birthday (unless a veterinarian has given a recommendation for the mating and the Kennel Club has given in writing their permission). A bitch may also not be bred from more than once in any 12 month period.
21 (a) As the owner of the stud dog: I will only use healthy mature males which are over the age of 12 months and are scored as stated in the breeding proposal 2,3,4,5. I will refuse any stud to any bitch which may not have reached her 24 month, which has passed her 8th birthday (unless as stated in 6 above), which I consider to be in poor health or does not have the necessary health certificates.
21 (b) I will satisfy myself as to the suitability of the bitch for breeding and will only advocate the use of my stud dog if I feel the owners of the bitch have the facilities, time and resources to adequately care for a litter.
22. I will keep accurate records of mating’s, dates, litter sales and registrations.
23. I agree to fill in and send a record of my litters and details of health tests to the Swedish Vallhund Society breed survey sub committee within 3 months of a litters’ birth for future records to be kept. I also understand this will only be used to conduct Kennel Club and Society surveys from time to time for the betterment of the breed.
24. When advertising or selling stock I will be extremely cautious to describe my stock accurately, especially with regard to potential prospects of young stock in order to try to avoid implying a guarantee of show success.
Breach of these provisions may result in expulsion from club membership, and/or disciplinary action by the Kennel Club and/or reporting to the relevant authorities for legal action, as appropriate.