The Swedish Vallhund Society Open Show 2019
I would like to thank the committee of the Swedish Vallhund Society for inviting me to judge their Open Show at Baginton Village Hall. This is a breed very close to my heart and it was a great honour.
I found my main winners in BIS Ch Mystarz Lavish Loitsu to Pepperthyme, RBIS Starvon Cryptic Spyder and BVIS Ch Peakdreams Kinder Scout at Thorjakker. There were no puppies entered.
I personally feel we are losing size and substance and also losing depth of colour, although all shades of grey are acceptable I do like to see a darker shade than some are.
All exhibits had correct dentition.
VETERAN DOG (4)
1. Sibleys Ch Peakdreams Kinder Scout at Thorjakker. 13 year old dog in ex condition and very fond of his own voice today and why not. Just letting everyone know he is having a great day. Good wedged shaped head, ear placement and dark eye. Excellent front and shoulders, level topline kept on the move and powered round the ring soundly. Good harness markings and great attitude. BVD and BVIS
2. Amons Ch Swed Ch Fin Svedala Billy Busvader at Pepperthyme (imp swe). 8Year old dog with good wedge head dark eyes and ear placement. Strong neck and well muscled. Well off for bone with a level top line kept on the move. Thought today his front movement was not as good as first but rear was sound.
3. Peacock-Jacksons Ch Pepperthyme Golden Noble at Kirkholme. 8 year old dog slightly lighter in build to 1 & 2 but a good head and dark eye with well placed ears. Good length of neck into well placed shoulders. Level top line again kept on the move and well muscled. Moved soundly.
JUNIOR DOG (1)
1. Jones Tanellis Bloomin William. 15 month lovely young dog who does fill the eye. Starting to go through that typical junior stage we all know about. Lovely masculine head and dark eye with good reach of neck into a level top line which he keeps on the move. Excellent front and in hard condition. Lovely typical markings and moved very soundly. He had the best feet of the day. Should have a great future and will watch him with interest. RBD
GRADUATE DOG (1)
1.Pallatina Starvon Ddark Knight at Vallitneya. Nearly 2 year old dog who is still developing. In very hard condition. Good head and dark eye but would prefer a more defined mask. Good reach of neck and level top line carried well on the move. Very sound and powerful rear.
POST GRADUATE DOG (3)
1. Peacock-Jacksons Starvon Double Agent at Kirkholme. 2 Year old dog who is still developing as he should be. Good wedge head with dark eyes and well placed ears. Good reach of neck into well placed shoulders. Level top line and well placed tail. Nicely boned and of good size. Moved soundly.
2. Pallatinas Starvon the Dark Knight – remarks as for Graduate Dog.
3. Drinkwaters Mastokk De Jammokk (imp Fra).3 year old dog who has a very happy nature. Smaller in size than the others but has a nice wedge shaped head and well placed ears. Would prefer a darker eye but had good face mask. Front is not quite his fortune but is well off for bone and is well ribbed. Moved well.
LIMIT DOG (1)
1. Drinkwaters Galerita Goji Berrie. 2 year old dog with a lovely head and well placed ears. Would prefer a darker eye but good facial mask. Level topline and moved well. In good condition.
OPEN DOG (3)
These 3 dogs are all very young and will no doubt change places many times before they are mature. Just my preference on the day.
1. Perry and Etches Starvon Cryptic Spyda. 2 year old dog who is developing very nicely. Good wedged shaped head and strong under jaw. Dark eyes with lovely gentle expression and well placed ears. Would like a shade more neck but has well placed shoulder and a good front assembly. Well up for rib. Level top line and well placed stub tail on a gently sloping croup. Excellent markings throughout and good well knuckled feet. Excellent condition and moved powerfully around he ring. Was pleased to award him BD and RBIS.
2. Stockbridges Ch Valladar Call of Duty. 2 year old dog a little heavier boned than 1 but that does not detract from a good overall type. Very masculine head with dark eye and well placed ears. Good facial mask and length of neck into well placed shoulders. I thought him a little short in the rib but has a strong level top line kept on the move. Which he did powerfully around the ring.
3. Pallatinas Ch Staron All Eyes on Me at Valltineya. 3.5. year old red dog who was very alert to his handler. Good head, dark eye and good facial markings. Nice length of neck into well placed shoulders and good front. Felt his top line and croup a little unsettled on the move today but stands well in profile. Excellent condition and moved powerfully.
RBIS/BEST DOG - STARVON CRYPTIC SPYDA
RES BEST DOG - TANELLIS BLOOMIN WILLIAM
BVIS/BEST VETERAN DOG - CH PEAKDREAMS KINDERSCOT AT THORJAKKER
VETERAN BITCH (3)
1. Drinkwaters Ch Candace Sea of Dreams at Trykeira. 10.5 year old bitch with a feminine head, good mask and dark eye. Strong underjaw. Excellent length of neck into a good front. Level topline and good spring of rib. Well boned with powerful rear movement and in excellent condition BVB
2. Amons Ch Onderaan De Gele Berg Ylra at Pepperthyme. 12 year old bitch. Paler in colour but with defined markings and dark eye. A very happy girl in good condition. Level top line, good feet but would prefer a little more animation.
3. Stockbridges Thorjakker Topsy turvy at Valladar. 7 year old girl who was a little unhappy to be shown today. Lovely type of bitch with feminine head, dark eye and good mask. Level top line and sound. Maybe a tad too much weight?
GRADUATE BITCH (2)
1. Zbilut and Yacomen Starvon Deja Vu. Nearly 2 year old bitch who is still developing. Nice dark eye but slightly round in shape. Well placed ears and very attentive to her young handler who did a good job. Good reach of neck into good shoulder placement. Level topline and well placed tail. Moved soundly and powerfully round the ring.
2. Pzienzas Pepperthyme Cloud Burst. 4 year old bitch who was in the ring for the first time. Her owner did a good job on this typey bitch who was not happy inside. Feminine head and good mask with a dark eye. Well used ears. Level top line and in ex condition. Am sure with a bit more practise she would move better.
POST GRADUATE BITCH (2)
1. Philips Katrina De Fumees Du Nord (imp Bel) 7.5. year old typey bitch. Feminine head and dark eyes with a good ear set. Nice reach of neck into well placed shoulders. Level top line and nicely off for bone. Well up for rib. Moved soundly. This bitch has improved quite a bit since I last saw her.
2. Hackneys Starvon Dreams are Maid 2 year old bitch who is still developing. Nice head but has a slightly round lightish eye. Good reach of neck but her top line was a little unsettled today. Very fit and moved well but would prefer more defined markings.
LIMIT BITCH (2)
1. Days Starvon Ziva 4.5 year old feminine bitch. Very typey with good length of neck into well placed shoulders. Level top line and well placed tail set. Nicely off for bone and good feet. Moved strongly and soundly. Pleased to award her RBB
2. Drinkwaters Trykeira Daleesha. Another good typey bitch of 3.5 years. Good wedge head and dark eye. Strong under jaw, good length of neck but a little unsettled in her top line today. Good bone and condition. Moved soundly.
OPEN BITCH (3,2)
1. Amons Ch Mystarz Lavish Loitsu to Pepperthyme. 3 year old bitch of lovely type. Feminine head, dark eye and excellent mask. Good length of neck into well placed shoulders. Lovely front assembly and forechest. Level top line kept on the move which although sound could be a little more animated. Very happy girl with good feet. Please to award her BB and BIS
2. Philips Ch Starvon Willamina. Very typey 8 year old bitch. Feminine wedge head and v dark eyes. Good length of neck into good shoulders and forechest. Level top line and well placed tail set. In good condition and move well.
BIS/BEST BITCH - CH MYSRZ LAVISH LOITSU AT PEPPERTHYME
RBB - STARON ZIVA
BVB - CH CANDACE SEA OF DREAMS AT TRYKEIRA
Special Award Classes
PG D/B (4-0)
1st Zbilut & Yacomen's Starvon Deja Vu. Very lovely b. Good head shape and stop, good ear and eye shape. Felt she could be a tad broader across the muzzle for perfection. Excellent outline with good reach of neck and depth of chest. Good bone and feet with a well muscled rear. Moved freely from all sides.
2nd Pallantina's Starvon Dark Knight At Valltineya. A handsome d. Looking good in the stand with a good head shape, reach of neck and level topline. A well muscled body supported on strong legs and correct feet. Would prefer slightly more depth to chest which would have tightened up his front movement.
3rd Phillips' Katrina Des Fumees Du Nord (Imp Bel)
O D/B (8-1)
1st Stockbridge's Ch Valladar Call Of Duty. d. Ex outline. Good, wedge shaped head with correct stop, eye and ear. Good reach of neck into correct front assembly with a good spring of rib and correct depth of chest with a solid topline. Well muscled and moving freely from all sides.
2nd Pallantina's Ch Starvon All Eyes On Me At Valltineya. Another handsome dog and similar remarks apply. Ex outline, good head shape, eye and ear. Correct front assembly and depth of chest. Well muscled and moved freely. Just preferred top line of 1.
3rd Day's Starvon Ziva.
Judge: Catherine Buecheler.
The Swedish Vallhund Society Open Show 2018
Judge - Wendy Sharman
My thanks to the Swedish Vallhund Society for the honour of inviting me to judge the 2018 Open Show and the exhibitors for entering their dogs and accepting my placings. I would also like to extend my thanks to Lynne Etches, my long-suffering steward, who kept the ring in order. There was a lovely atmosphere throughout the day. Shame about the weather but I managed to complete the judging before the rain got the better of us! Dentition was good apart from a few that need some attention to cleaning. Whilst I think there has been improvement in our breed, front quarters, particularly wide chests, slack elbows and slightly steep shoulders leading towards a hackney movement are in need of attention. It would be good to see improvement in toplines too.
CLASS 1 VETERAN DOG (2)
1. BVD & BVIS Allsop’s Ch Eldhastens Bobbo Viking (IMP SWE) ShCM: What a lovely boy for his 11 years exuding a workmanlike air about him. An overall dark grey in colour with a close lying coarse coat. Very masculine head, lovely dark eyes giving an excellent expression. Good ear set and shape. Very positive on the move with good drive holding his topline firm and can present a level topline standing too.
2. Dodd’s Starvon Talk of the Town: Another lovely veteran of 8½ years. Quality correct tight coat. Well put together although topline could be a little better. Another one that moved well.
CLASS 2 MINOR PUPPY DOG (no entries)
CLASS 3 PUPPY DOG (3)
1. BPD & BPIS Pallatina’s Starvon Dark Knight at Valltineya: This young man should have a bright future. Overall presentation and construction is excellent. Good close coarse coat, excellent topline, well set and carried ears. Good eye shape and colour. Moved firmly both fore and aft.
2. Peacock-Jackson’s Starvon Double Agent at Kirkholme: Another lovely boy with a stunning coat colour. Eyes could be a shade darker. Topline is not as good as first but time is on his side for this. A little unsettled in movement both front and rear today.
3. Perry & Etches’ Starvon Cryptic Spyda.
CLASS 4 JUNIOR DOG (3)
1. Hackney’s Starvon Bring It On: Presented an excellent overall picture. Good eye shape and colour with excellent cheek and saddle markings. A few wrinkles that should disappear as he matures. Good reach of neck into well-laid shoulders. Topline could be a little straighter. Correct close, coarse coat. His movement was by far the best in this class.
2. Stockbridge’s Valladar Call of Duty: Another good young male of excellent type. Held his topline well on the move, firm back, correct coarse coat of good colour with typical markings. Moved well.
3. Cliffen’s Mystarz Muzik McCoy.
CLASS 5 GRADUATE DOG (1)
Drinkwater’s Galerita Goji Berrie:16 months male of good colour and markings. Overall well balanced. Stands well in all 4 corners, a touch wide in front. Excellent topline complemented by a curly tail. Good head, eyes and ears. Beautifully presented and moved well.
CLASS 6 POST GRADUATE DOG (2 – 1 absent)
1. Allsop’s Eldhastens Fabel Firestorm at Thornevald (IMP SWE): A lovely friendly fella carrying a bit too much weight that was affecting his movement today. Well proportioned, good head and expression and reach of neck. Eyes excellent for both shape and colour and ears well set and nice size. Excellent spring of rib. Great close lying coat of good colour and good markings.
CLASS 7 LIMIT DOG (2)
1. Sibley’s Thornjakker Hundi Homnelvik: A really happy boy with excellent movement. Correct coat of good colour. Masculine head and expression, eyes of good colour and shape, good ear set and excellent topline whilst standing and moving.
2. Hackney’s Starvon All About Me: In second place today because his movement and topline were not as good as the 1st. Excellent head, eyes and ears, good reach of neck. Coarse close coat of good colour.
CLASS 8 OPEN DOG (4)
A very good class.
1. BD & BIS Peacock-Jackson’s Ch Pepperthyme Golden Noble at Kirkholme: This guy made his entrance into the ring and begged to be noticed! A very striking colour with good markings and excellent correct coat. Overall a well balanced dog. Masculine head and expression, good eye shape and colour, well set ears. Good reach of neck leading to a strong back with level topline. He was very fluid on the move driving well from behind. A credit to his breeder and owner.
2. Amon’s Ch Ch SWED Ch FIN Svedala Billy Busvader at Pepperthyme (IMP SWE) Another excellent male presenting a well balanced outline. Excellent head, eyes and ears leading to a good reach of neck into well laid shoulders and a strong back. Good spring of rib. Topline is a touch high at the rear. Excellent movement and unlucky to meet the 1st today.
3. Paterson & Kennedy’s Ch IR Ch Eriksfjord Chilled Bunny for Jarlalfvin.
CLASS 9 VETERAN BITCH (2)
Two lovely seniors. A close decision, first just had the edge on movement.
1. BVB & RBVIS Amon’s NL CH Onderaan De Gele Berg Yira at Pepperthyme (IMP NLD) A very happy lady and wonderful in all respects for her 10 years. Firm well held topline and super movement. A great gal!
2. Drinkwater’s Candace Sea of Dreams at Trykeira: Another quality lady with lovely coat colour of good quality. She just did not move quite as well as 1st in front.
CLASS 10 MINOR PUPPY BITCH (0)
CLASS 11 PUPPY BITCH (3)
1. BPB & RBPIS Stewart’s Starvon Cudya Shudya Wudya: A beautiful young female with a correct coat of good quality and colour. Feminine head, lovely expressive eyes with good colour and set. Ears good shape and set. Well presented. There is room for improvement in her movement as she was a little unsettled today. I learned that both owner and puppy were at their very first show and suggested that some more ring training regarding movement would show this young lady’s full potential.
2. Zbilut & Yacomen’s Starvon Deja Vu: Another lovely puppy. Good head and ears. Her expression was spoiled by her eyes being a little round rather than oval. Good coat, strong back. Good topline held both standing and on the move. Moved well.
3. Hackney’s Starvon Dreams are Maid.
CLASS 12 JUNIOR BITCH (0)
CLASS 13 GRADUATE BITCH (1)
1. Cameron & Woods’ Bowkol Am Buachaille: Nicely put together and a happy girl. Excellent head, well set and carried ears and eyes of good colour and shape. Close lying coat. Excellent head and saddle markings. Moved well although a little wide in front.
CLASS 14 POST GRADUATE BITCH (2)
1. RBB Drinkwater’s Trykeira Daleesha: A beautiful and very fit female in great condition. Impeccable movement and a joy to watch. Lovely close-lying short and weatherproof coat. Lovely feminine head and typical expression. Good reach of neck leading to an excellent topline and tail. Moved with drive.
2. Phillips’ Katrina Des Fumees Du Nord (IMP BEL): Unfortunately, this female was carrying a little too much weight today and did not want to be in unison with her handler. A feminine bitch with friendly, sweet expression formed by her excellent eyes and ears. Overall a good type but her movement was spoiled today by being overweight.
CLASS 15 LIMIT BITCH (1)
1. Day’s Starvon Zeva: A well proportioned female. Lovely head and expression. Good ears and eyes. Good reach of neck leading to a sound topline rising a little towards the rear. Coat of good quality with typical desired markings. Moved positively around the ring with good drive from behind.
CLASS 16 OPEN BITCH (5)
Close decision, 1st and 2nd could easily swap places!
1. BB & RBIS & BOSIS Amon’s Ch Mystarz Lavish Loitsu to Pepperthyme: Lovely femine bitch in sound condition. Well proportioned body and with good outline. Stands well in all four corners. Lovely feminine expression. Eyes of good shape and colour. Ears well set and carried. Excellent reach of neck leading to a strong back and good topline. Close lying short coat of excellent quality. Moved soundly.
2. Amon’s Ch Pepperthyme Theodora: Another lovely feminine bitch with coat of good colour and close lying. Excellent topline. Sound on the move.
3. Day & West’s Starvon Yakety Yak
Wendy Sharman (Naraena)
OPEN SHOW 2017
Judge - Mrs Hazel Fitzgibbon
BEST IN SHOW - Candace Sea Of Dreams At Trykeira
RESERVE BEST IN SHOW - CH Eldhastens Bobbo Viking ShCm (IMP SWE)
BEST PUPPY IN SHOW - Chipsmakers Que Sera Sera At Thorjakker (IMP SWE)
BEST VETERAN IN SHOW - CH Eldhastens Bobbo Viking ShCm (IMP SWE)
What a lovely show this was! Thank you to the committee and officers for the kind invitation and excellent hospitality. I was made to feel most welcome. The Swedish Vallhund is a lovely breed and the atmosphere around the show echoed their happy disposition. The venue is a new one to me and was of an excellent size; indeed, there was no excuse for dogs not to be walked there – it seemed to go on for acres. This was at Hampstead Norreys Village Hall. I had an excellent entry of 34 with 6 absentees. I know the breed has other things which are more important at the moment, but may I bring attention to ear quality? The standard specifically asks for leathers which are ‘hard’ throughout. There were a lot of thin leathers here today. Many, if not all, coats were on the blow so some harness markings were not too clear. Mostly, I forgave this.
Veteran Dog (2)
1. CH Eldhastens Bobbo Viking ShCm (IMP SWE)
Lovely gentleman, so full of quality. Sturdy in appearance and to go over. Good bone and body with strong coupling. Excellent mover, being straight on the up and down and with a well timed side gait. ‘A handsome stallion’, I wrote in my notes and that about sums him up. BD RBIS AND BV
2. CH Candace The Scandinavian
Another boy who carries his years very lightly. Good head with well placed eye and ears. Moving very freely. Preferred topline of 1.
Junior Dog (2)
1. Starvon All Eyes On Me At Valltineya
Good male in fabulous condition, so well muscled throughout. Soft expression and clearly at one with his owner. Rear patterns could be stronger.
2. Eriksfjord Brave Charm
Good for colour and markings. Attractive head with good eye and ear set. Rather long in profile for me.
Post Graduate (2)
1. Pepperthyme Winter Storm
Sturdy well conditioned youngster. Good reach of neck and front assembly. Clean head with lovely eye and expression. Rear pasterns could be stronger.
2. Eldhastens Fabel Firestorm At Thornevald (IMP SWE)
Handsome head on this promising youngster. I loved his bone and substance. In rather soft condition and needs to strengthen throughout.
Open Dog (5,2)
1. CH/SWE/FIN CH Svedala Billy Busvader At Pepperthyme (IMP SWE)
Good profile. Sturdy male in excellent condition. Lovely head and excellent ears. Good solid topline, excellent stifles and neat rear pasterns. Very well set front. RBD.
2. CH/IR CH Eriksfjord Chilled Bunny For Jarlalfvin
Good male of excellent quality. Preferred my class winner in body properties and stifles. Moving out freely.
3. CH Starvon Vanquish ShCm
Veteran Bitch (4,1)
1. CH Hurstfield Red Ribbons
Very solid red bitch with a very workmanlike attitude. Excellent profile Good head and well set ears. Clear harness marks. Excellent topline, maintained on the move.
2. CH/IR CH Eriksfjord Magik Bean
A feminine girl with good outline and OK for leg length. Moving steadily. Straighter behind than 1.
3. DUT CH Onderaan De Gele Berg Ylra At Pepperthyme (IMP NLD)
Puppy Bitch (1)
1. Chipsmakers Que Sera Sera At Thorjakker (IMP SWE)
Quite immature as befits her age, but a very promising young lady. Very lovely head piece and soft expression. Good reach of neck. Still a little narrow through the body with ribs needing to spring. Excellent croup and tail set. Very impressive rear construction. There was something about this girl that drew me; I think it is balance and a sense of class which I think she has. BP and surely a bright future ahead, all things being equal. BPIS
Junior Bitch (2)
1. Mystarz Lavish Loitsu To Pepperthyme
Lovely profile with good leg length and well sprung rib. Excellent croup and tail set. Well angulated behind moving steadily and with balance. Has a sense of class which draws the eye. RBB
2. Trykeira Daleesha
Lighter build all round than 1. Good reach of neck. Good leg length. Good topline when stacked. Well angulated behind. Mask could be clearer. I preferred substance and body properties of 1.
Post Grad Bitch (2,1)
1. Jazz Juste Van De Kloostertuin
Good for size and colour. Excellent head shape and neck length but front assembly rather straight. Free mover although rear pasterns could be neater.
Limit Bitch (1)
1. Karmore Cornish Maid
Sturdy bitch. Pretty head shape and good leg length. Good stifles with neat rear pasterns. Harness markings present.
Open Bitch (6)
1. Candace Sea Of Dreams At Trykeira
Excellent head with a kind eye on this typey bitch. Lovely for size and proportions. Not looking quite so sturdy as some, but her movement was a joy to behold, with determined drive from behind. Well shaped front. Good bone. Coat was twixt and tween. BB BIS.
2. CH Pepperthyme Theodora
Very sturdy girl and does not need any more weight. Very sweet head and expression but would prefer more defined mask.
3. Tridents Vanja At Hurstfield (IMP SWE)
Judge; Hazel Fitzgibbon
SPECIAL AWARD CLASSES
Mrs Domna Dodd
I wish to thank the Swedish Vallhund Society for inviting me to judge the special Award classes at your Open show. I had some very nice dogs to go over. Also thank you to the Steward for making the classes run smoothly.
Special award Junior dog or bitch (4)
1. Eriksfjord Brave Charm. 14 Months male and developing well. Good size with correct bone, well sprung ribs and short loin. Correct head shape, good stop with dark almond shape eyes. Good neck length with well laid shoulders. Moved with drive and his back stayed level on the move. Correct coat texture with good undercoat. Really enjoyed he's day and his tail never stopped wagging.
2. Starvon All Eyes On Me at Valltineya, 17 Months. Another Super young male with correct wedge head and lovely expression. Correct size with good bone. Moved well. Bright Future.
3. Chipsmakers Que Sera Sera at Thorjakker (Imp Swe)
Special award open dog or bitch (8:4)
1 Ch Starvon Willamina, 6 years. Nothing exaggerated about this girl. Well balanced Took every thing in her stride as she moved round the ring. Sweet expression with good pigmentation and with that desirable mask markings. Good use of ears. Enough reach of neck level back with well sprung ribs. Croup broad and sloping with good angulation. Moved well.
2. Candace Sea of Dreams at Trykiera, 8 years good size and bone and in very good form for her age.Dark eyes with good reach of neck, slightly longer cast but move with very powerful hind action and her back stayed level on the move. Would of liked slightly more upper arm.
3. Ch Candace the Scandinavian.
OPEN SHOW 2016
Judge - Mr Howard Ogden
BEST IN SHOW - Ch Starvon Rumour Has It
RESERVE BEST IN SHOW - Ch Eldhastens Bobbo Viking Sh CM (Imp, Swe)
BEST PUPPY IN SHOW - Asgardr Valhalos Sargas At Eriksfjord (Imp, Ltu)
BEST VETERAN IN SHOW - Ch Starvon Rumour Has It
Apologies for the false start!
What a great group of breed enthusiasts, from Ipswich to Pembroke, and what a fabulous "best kept secret" venue with all the facilities of a spacious village hall, yet set in wooded countryside with an outdoor ring bathed in Spring sunshine. In addition every one of the 26 exhibits entered was present. I was privileged to be invited out of the JDP classroom to officiate at this level and you should know that the extended breed standard and other learning materials, produced by the Club and its President, are among the very best ever presented and clearly with a view to try & ensure that the next wave of allbreed judges do so with as specialist an understanding as possible.
1st: Allsop's Ch Eldhastens Bobbo Viking Sh CM (Imp, Swe); 9yrs on top form & powerfully built; blunt wedge head with a well defined stop; dark eye if a touch full; gd ear; fabulous forehand with correspondingly equal angulation through his rear; has depth & clearance and is well ribbed back; oval feet; well boned; harsh topcoat; correctly slightly sloping croup; his structure & balance allowed reach & drive; he truly revelled in these outdoor conditions to demonstrate fit functionality. BD & RBIS
2nd: Etches & Bayliss' Ch Hurstfield Red Rayda ShCM; 11.5yrs who was another bang on form; he too displayed that specific combination of sturdiness coupled with functional energy; scored with desired, well defined mask albeit less strong through muzzle; so well constructed albeit flatter in croup; correct proportions; absolutely sound on well padded, oval feet; gave an equally gd profile on circuiting the ring & rated him in the top 3 males.
3rd: Phillips' Linmays Master Magician; 10.5yrs.
1st: Paterson's Asgardr Valhalos Sargas At Eriksfjord (Imp, Ltu); 12m by the time you read this & struck me as developing well in this slow maturing breed; gd skull; long, wedge-shaped head; gd ear; ex front assembly; well ribbed; lacked harsh topcoat; taller set as yet but developing well as enters teenage stage; balanced angulation aided his active, sound action. Surely one with a promising future as well as a valued addition to the gene pool? BPIS
1st: Fithern & Russell's Hurstfield Renen Dasher At Rusern; 15m; ex head proportions & shape; prefer a shade darker eye; well defined mask; gd forehand; has the depth & length to give such a correct outline; sound; just a little unsettled in topline; overall a youngster with an assured future and, as with so many today, it will be an essential part of my ongoing education to note & compare the more finished article once 4/5yrs old.
1st: Allsop's Eldhasten's Fabel Firestorm; 2.5yrs and presumably a Swedish import; now this dog excited me with his raw potential; my hands flowed over him as he was so well made; super head proportions with alert expression; oval eye; glorious neckline into well laid shoulder; oval feet; firm backline; gd croup; sound rear; can still settle in front as it fills in through the maturing process; had that "eager to please" attitude that will surely get him noticed.
1st: Price's Staravon You Got It At Conningsbear ShCM; 2.5yrs; wedge shaped, expressive head on account of a dark, oval eye & pricked, mobile ear; rather short in neck; gd bone; deep & well ribbed; harsh jacket; can firm in pastern so as not to stand east/west in front; moved out freely.
1st: Coombes' Mystarz Jaunty Jaeger; 2.5yrs; small & sturdy; gd long head with slightly shorter muzzle than skull; correct ear; prefer eye a shade darker; beautifully moulded front around oval chest; a little straight in rear; well boned; slight rise in backline that I would prefer a touch longer; absolutely sound & active.
2nd: Fithern & Russell's Lille Viking's Ivar At Rusern (Imp, Ch); 23m; conversely rather long cast & lighter framed; narrower muzzled; standing weak at pastern; gd neck & backline; harsh topcoat; firm in rear; clearly one to benefit significantly from maturity.
1st: Paterson & West's Ch Starvon Wishful Thinking; striking 5yr old scoring in so many breed specifics, with a strength of form that starts with his head & continues through his sturdy body; absolutely clean-cut, blunt wedge; dark, oval eye; ex neckline; well constructed front; has the depth & length; balanced angles; harsh jacket; sound & active on oval feet with drive; carrying quite enough body condition; litter brother to the RBB & half-brother to the BIS. Made him RBD.
2nd:Price's Starvon Xpress Delivery At Coningsbear ShCM; 4yrs same dam as the BIS; quality, muscled exhibit; beautifully balanced proportions; gd long head with correct ratios; oval eye & correct ear; well ribbed; firm backline of desired length; firm rear;stood east/west in front; close up.
3rd:Dodd's Starvon Talk Of The Town
1st: West's Ch Starvon Rumour Has It; 7.5yrs; Wow! Immediately struck by the combination of strength with femininity that was readily confirmed "hands on"; beautiful headpiece with strength maintained through muzzle & defined mask; dark, oval eye; gd bone & oval feet; scores in neck & backline; moulded front; correct depth & ribbing; muscled rear; broad croup with slight slope; absolutely sound with reach & drive. Guess I was probably the only one present not to know her multiple CC winning history inc. Bitch CC at Cruft's from veteran last month. Will be a hard act for others to follow and is not finished yet! BB & BIS
1st: Fithern & Russell's Rusern Douglas Dragonfly; v. engaging at 6m; feminine, long head with defined stop; expressive ears; reach to neck; oval feet; another correctly formed front; firm rear; balanced angulation allowed her to move out with freedom; promising, raw baby.
1st: Dodd's Hurstfield Renen Vixen At Tanellis; 15m litter sister to JD; struck me as really promising & with that "eager to please" attitude to life that is so endearing about the breed; correct head features that just needs to broaden out with maturity & grow into her ears; prized, defined mask & harness; ex forehand; neck gives style; correct body length; well ribbed & level; balanced angles allowed free, as well as sound, movement; another I will be interested to compare a few years on.
1st: Day & West's Starvon Ziva; 21m; lovely shaped head with oval eye & mobile ear; correctly fronted; level but needs time to drop into her frame as she develops; well angulated fore & aft so moved out freely; can firm in hind action.
1st: Down's Lady Lyra; just turned 4yrs& with a new exhibitor, I believe, who quickly cottoned on & should know she has a b. of ex breed type well able to hold her own not only at this level but beyond; correctly wedge-shaped head; dark, oval eye; expressive ears; such a well defined mask & harness; well ribbed; level; musdled up; tight topcoat; moved free & true once under control; good luck with her.
2nd: Coombes' Millcreek's Hightower Precious Gem Under Mystarz (Imp, USA); 23m; such a feminine head with length; just a bit bold in eye; developing well in body of ex proportions; firm backline; made the most of herself in profile action; firm in rear; less accurate in front.
3rd: S Ziva
1st: Phillips' Starvon Willemena; 5.5yrs; another with the wow factor & turns out she is not only half-sister to the BIS but took the Reserve Bitch CC to her at Cruft's; essence of breed type; correct head ratios; dark, oval eye; ex forehand; well boned; oval feet; well ribbed back; level with slight slope to croup; correct coat; but her strength is in her muscled, functional condition so she opens up in gait to give textbook reach & drive; on 2CCs her title will surely be hers by this summer. RBB
2nd: Allsop's Karmore Cornish Maid; just on 3yrs; can still drop into her frame; lighter in eye; has ex overall construction to develop on well & get noticed on maturity; well formed front; well angulated fore & aft; balanced & free on the move with gd carriage.
3rd: Fithern & Russell's Vallier Enuf Isenuf At Rusern
1st: West's Starvon Valley Of Dreams; 5yrs & another with same dam as the BIS; correct head shape with strength through muzzle; shade light in eye; ex body proportions & conformation; has depth & ribbing; level back; slope to croup; harsh topcoat; balanced angles aided freedom of movement when exhibit & handler were as one. Surely of CC quality?
2nd: Day & West's Ch Starvon Xtra Special; 3yrs. Now I understand all the kissing & hugging as these are full sisters; felt the comparative lack of maturity showed, albeit she has such perfect body proportions & exudes breed type; completely feminine that shows in head; touch bold in eye; narrower fronted & looser coming on; beautifully balanced angulation; has the depth & ribbing; just softer in backline as they circuited together.
Special Award Classes
Thank you to the Society, my steward and the exhibitors for a lovely day with this super breed, I really enjoyed my appointment and wish you all continued success.
J D/B (3,0)
1. Paterson’s Asgardr Valhalos Sargas at Eriksfjord (imp LTU) lovely 11 month boy, well balanced and free moving, good wedge shaped head with desired stop, dark eyes and expressive ears, good reach of neck and nice front angulation, of correct body proportions with a firm backline and loin, strong hindquarters, well boned and good hocks, liked his clean and active movement, he promises well for the future.
2. Fithern & Russell’s Hurstfield Renen Dasher another quality boy, heavier build than 1, lovely for breed type, sturdy and energetic, balanced head with good stop, eyes and ears, well boned with good angulation, deep chest, strong back and loin, preferred his body proportions to 3, moved well with powerful action and a nice length of stride.
3. Dodd’s Hurstfield Renen Vixen at Tanellis
PG D/B (1,0)
1. Day & West’s Starvon Diva liked her for type, still maturing but sound all through, balanced head with good skull and strong muzzle, dark eyes, gave a pleasing outline on the stand with correct front and rear angulations, firm neck, strong back and loin, topline held on the move, nice active mover.
O D/B (7,0) super class of quality dogs
1. Etches & Bayliss Ch Hurstfield Red Rayda ShCM gave this boy a BOB 6 years ago and lovely to see that age hasn’t changed him one bit! Lovely breed type with a typical head and expression, full of quality, with correct body proportions, good bone, correct depth of chest, strong neck, excellent angulation fore and aft, held his topline as he powered around the ring, obviously loves his showing, very sturdy, workmanlike and active dog who could easily do a day’s work.
2. Day & West’s Ch Starvon Xtra Special had all the attributes of 1 but in a female form, really lovely for type and balance, everything moulds so well, a very stylish bitch with typical expression, well laid shoulders, good profile with strong rear end, firm topline and moving with purpose but not quite matching the drive of 1, a little short of coat today but it was splitting hairs here.
3. Dodd’s Starvon Talk of the Town
Terrie Cousins-Brown (judge)
OPEN SHOW 2015
Judge - Mr Kevin Young
BEST IN SHOW - CH PEPPERTHYME THEODORA
RESERVE BEST IN SHOW - CH STARVON RUMOUR HAS IT
BEST PUPPY IN SHOW - HURSTFIELD RENEN DANCER AT KINTALIS
BEST VETERAN IN SHOW - CH STARVON RUMOUR HAS IT
I would like to thank the committee for the honour and pleasure to judge your club show, and the exhibitors for the quality entry, also the hospitality I received on the day.
VD 1, RICHARDS, GENERAL MAXIMILLIAN VEERS OF PALASTRAS. This male looked well for his age, I liked him for his breed type, typical head and expression with good bone and substance, pleasing shape and balance.
2, PHILLIPS, LINMAYS MASTER MAGICIAN, this male scores well in head and expression, good reach of neck with good length of body, just preferred the top line and movement on 1.
PD 1, FITHERN & RUSSELL, HURSTFIELD RENEN DASHER, Quality youngster that caught my eye, I really liked this male for breed type and soundness, good head, eye and expression, with a good reach of neck, and firm top line, well angulated front and rear quarters, presented in lovely condition. Res BP.
2, BAILIE, PEPPERTHYME WINTER STORM, another quality youngster who is full of promise, well balanced head with correct shape eye and lovely expression, pleasing neck and shoulders, with good bone and substance, full marks for presentation, he just needs to make the most of himself.
GD 1, FITHERN & RUSSELL, LILLE VIKING’S IVAR (IMP CHE), handsome male who scores well in head and expression, good reach of neck and firm top line, well angulated hindquarters, moved very soundly around the ring, presented in firm condition.
2, PRICE, STARVON YOU GOT IT AT CONINGSBEAR, I liked his head for type, correct shape eye and well placed ears to give a pleasing expression, I would have preferred more length of body to give a pleasing out line, preferred the rear movement on 1.
LD 1, COOMBES, MYSTARZ JAUNTY JAEGAR, handsome male who stood out in this class, well balanced skull with correct shape eye and neat ears, having an alert expression, good neck fitting into a well laid shoulders, I liked his depth and overall size and shape, so well put together
Allows him to move with ease. Pleased to award him res best dog.
2, PEACOCK-JACKSON, PEPPERTHYME GOLDEN NOBLE ST KIRKHOLME, handsome male of good size and substance, I really liked his head, eye and expression, lovely front quarters and depth of chest, good top line and tail set, I just preferred the rear quarters on 1, showed well and presented in super condition.
3, DODD, STARVON TALK OF THE TOWN,
OD 1, HOWE, CH STARVON VENI VIDI VICI (SHCM), a lovely class to judge and some quality exhibits, a lovely dog for breed type and he has a gorgeous head and expression, good reach of neck and well angulated shoulders, plenty of bone and substance, with a firm top line, won this class on movement and soundness, Best dog.
2, AMON, CH/SWED/FIN CH SVEDALA BILLY, quality head and a very typical expression, good reach of neck fitting well into a firm top line, moved well on his front and rear quarters, I would have preferred a little more length of body to finish him off, showed well.
3, LEWIS, CH STARVON VANQUISH (SHCM),
VB 1, WEST, CH STARVON RUMOUR HAS IT, a gorgeous bitch of a lovely breed type, so typical in head and expression, correct neck and shoulder with a super top line, very sound on her front and rear quarters, moved with drive and purpose, won this class with ease, I was pleased to award her best veteran & res best in show.
2 AMON, ONDERAAN DE GELE BERG YLRA AT PEPPERTHYME (IMP NLD) feminine bitch who was presented in excellent condition, I would have preferred her to have a little more substance and I liked the movement on 1.
PB 1, RAND, HURSTFIELD RENEN DANCER AT KINTALIS, quality youngster that stood out for me, I loved her for breed type and a super head and expression, firm neck and shoulder and a level top line, she has lovely balance and moving with drive and purpose, a beautiful bone and substance but feminine, pleased to award her best puppy in show.
2, HOWE, PEPPERTHYME ON A RAINBOW, feminine bitch who scores well in head and expression, skull is well balanced with correct shape eye and neat ears, she has enough bone and substance with a firm top line, a lovely type of youngster, just prefer the movement on1.
PGB 1, WEST, STARVON YAKETY YAK, a quality bitch who has a lovely breed type, typical head and expression and has lovely balance throughout, although out of coat she won this class with ease on her breed type and movement.
2, PHILLIPS, KATRINA DES FUMEES DU NORD IMP, this bitch scores well in head, very sweet expression and well placed ears, good reach of neck with good bone and substance, a little loose on front pasterns and needs to tighten up on her front feet.
3, DOWN, LADY LYRA,
LB 1, STOCKBRIDGE THORJAKKER TOPSY TURVY aT VALLADAR, pleasing type of good size and substance, moved soundly around the ring and well presented, just would have liked her to use the ears more.
2, COOMBES, MYSTARZ ICE SPICE BABY, a bit smaller then winner but she showed herself off well, I would have liked a more level top line when standing, present in lovely condition and well handled.
OB 1, AMON, CH PEPPERTHYME THEODORA, a very stylish bitch who can really show herself off, lovely balanced head and typical expression, good reach of neck and a well laid shoulder, firm top line and correct tail set, loved her balance in profile and moving with drive and purpose, excellent presentation and I was pleased to award her best in show.
2, PHILLIPS, STARVON WILLAMINA, a lovely type of bitch to go over, I liked her head and sweet expression, lovely front and rear angulations, to give a pleasing out line when standing, moved freely and soundly around the ring, well done for presentation.
3, RICHARDS, FANTASI LUCY LOCKET OF PALOSTRAS (IMP USA)
Judge - Kevin Young
SPECIAL AWARD CLASSES
Mrs V Allsop
SPECIAL JUNIOR COMBINED (5:2a)
1st Pepperthyme Winter Storm
2nd Hurstfield Renen Dasher
3rd Lille Viking Ivar (Imp Che)
SPECIAL POSTGRAD COMBINED (2)
1st Onderaan De Gele Berg Ylra At Pepperthyme (Imp Nld)
2nd Katrina Des Fumees Du Nord (Imp)
SPECIAL OPEN COMBINED (3)
1st Ch/Swe/Fin Ch Svedala Billy Busvader At Pepperthyme(Imp Swe)
2nd Thorjakker Topsy Turvy At Valladar
3rd Starvon Willamina
4th Ch Starvon Vanquish ShCM
5th Starvon Talk Of The Town
Open Show 2014
Judge - Jeff Horswell
I had a most enjoyable time judging this open show, were there were amazingly few absentees and a v sporting atmosphere will all winners warmly applauded. This is such an unspoilt breed and seems to have changed very little over the years, retaining the same basic shape, only a couple felt were a bit too long and none seemed to be too short legged.
All coats were well presented, all had good muscle tone, some excelled here, and not all were all mouths correct but all had really super big teeth. Is interesting that some breeds seem to be getting quite small teeth, but not Vallhunds.
No one fault running through the breed, which is good. Some had upper arms that were too short, a rather than the slightly shorter than shoulder blade as called for, and often, but not always these were too steep, bringing the front legs too far forward and often too far apart. Few without the correct slope to croup and high set tails, some feet rather flat.
Most were well ribbed back, toplines generally were ok and no really light eyes.
I found myself being in the fortunate position of having a fabulous dog and bitch to choose between for BIS, very little to choose between them, but the dog really put all in and had so much sparkle on the day this tipped the balance in his favour.
It really was a treat to judge this entry which had high quality, and am grateful for the invitation.
1. Etches & Bayliss Ch Hurstfield Red Rayda ShCM
Really super d to start with. Ideal proportions and looks so good moving around the ring. Masc head, lovely eye and expression. Correct stop. Enough neck. Well laid shoulder. Could have just a fraction more upper arm. Well ribbed back. Holds a level topline. Slight slope to croup. Correct hind angulation. Well muscled. Correct jacket. Really put everything into showing BIS
2. Phillips' Linmay's Master Magician
Another good mover in profile. Liked his head proportions. Just a bit untidy in front action and slack in feet and pastern. Well ribbed. Thick coat. V good rear.
Minor Puppy Dog
Both v promising pups, with different plus and minus features.
1. Coombes' Mystarz Jaunty Jaegar
Liked his outline and proportions. Wedge head, correct stop, good skull. Dark brown eyes. Slightly better front construction of these 2, which took him to BP. Lengthy neck. Super feet. Runs up v slightly at moment and tail is slightly high set. Better out and back action than 2. Super jacket. BP
2. Etches & Moore's Mystarz Ice Imperial
Prefered his head slightly, has a bit more strength on muzzle. Lengthy neck. A bit wider in front as yet. Has a level topline, slight slope to croup. Well bent stifle, low hocks. Needs to firm in out and back action, but good length stride.
Both rather different types.
1. Sibleys Thorjakker Hondi Homnelvik
This d has the most super shoulder, which gave him a longer stride, once he stopped pacing. Has a good head, although ears are rather large. Lengthy neck. Well ribbed body. Enough bend of stifle. Accurate out and back. Still needs to drop into himself.
2. Amon's Pepperthyme Tapani
Well balanced d, moderate in angulation, not quite the stride of 1. Masc head, dark eyes, well set ears. Enough neck. V short in loin. Well set tail. Moved well out and back.
Post Grad Dog
1. Price's Starvon Xpress Delivery ay Coningsbear. V good moving d, with correct proportions. Masc head. Muzzle slightly shorter than skull. Eyes could be just slightly better shaped. Enough neck. Moderate and balanced angulation, well laid shoulder, upper arm slightly shorter. Could have deeper feet. Well ribbed back. Firm topline, slight slope to croup with well set tail. Nice rear and well muscled
2. Kent's Vastgota Hunter's Moon
He is a nice d, giving handler a v hard time. Masc head, dark eyes. Enough neck. Well laid shoulder. Feet ok. Well bodied. In most super muscle.
1. Dodds Starvon Talk of the Town
Well balanced d, who moves so v well and has a super texture to his coat. Good head, fairly flat in skull, just slightly rounded, lovely eye and expression. Lengthy neck. Well laid shoulder, just a bit short and steep in upper arm. Well ribbed. Slight slope to croup and well set tail strong rear with low hocks. Sound out and back, could be firmer in topline.
2. Rand's Tridents Ulrik at Kintalis
Liked the shape and proportions of this d. Well balanced head, correct stop. Slightly worried expression . Lengthy neck. Not quite shoulder of 1, although better in topline. Rear angulation balances his front. Has a lengthy stride. Correct coat.
3. Price's Starvon Uncle Sam at Conngsbear
1. Allsop's Ch Eldhastems Bobbo Viking
Liked his proportions, and has a super outline on move. Masc head, maybe slightly strong. Good eye and expression. Lengthy neck. Well laid shoulder. Could have a fraction more upper arm. Good legs and feet. Super shape to his ribbing. Topline more level on move than stood. Correct slope to croup. Strong rear. Good out and back. Really sturdy. RBD
2. Lewis' Ch Starvon Vanquish
Liked his outline standing. Masc head, but could have just a bit more stop. Lengthy neck, good shoulder, legs and feet could be better. Well ribbed. Holds a firm topline with well set tail. Lots of hind angulation. Just tends to shuffle slightly at the rear and over lift front feet.
3. Kent's Hurstfield Vital Shield
1. Bayliss' Hurstfield Red Ribbon
Really lovely b, who is v good going around the ring. Fem head, well balanced, correct eye and expression. Well set ears. Lengthy neck. Fairly well laid shoulder, just slightly steep in upper arm, so comes at you slightly wide. Grand body. Level topline. Thick coat. Has a well made rear. RBB
2. Allsopp's Ch Toidi Moonlight Magic at Thornevald
10 yr old, shows like a pup. Fem b, well balanced head. Lengthy neck. Decent front, but feet could be better. Well ribbed. Just runs up v slightly on move. Good rear.
Minor Puppy Bitch
1. Coombes' Mystarz Ice Spice Baby
V promising baby of correct proportions. Fem head, correct shop, dark eye, well set ears. Lengthy neck. Shoulders could be slightly better laid back. Super feet. Well sprung ribs, short loin. Slight slope to croup, with well set tail. Super rear, which she really uses on the move.
1. Amon's Pepperthyme Theodora
Liked the proportions on this b, who is maybe carrying a little too much weight, but does give her a sturdy appearance. V good head, super eye and expression. Lengthy neck. Good shoulder. Would like her ribs to go back just a little more as slightly long in loin. Tail is too high set. Correct hind angulation. V good mover.
2. Allsopp's Karmore Cornish Maid
V bouncy b, who looks v raw as yet, which is no bad thing in such a slow maturing breed. Super head. Lengthy neck. Good shoulder. A little long in the loin. Enough hind angulation. Just needs to settle down on the move.
3. Carp's Galerita Wahbonny Ivy
1. Stockbridge's Thorjakker Topsy Turvy
More sturdy in type than her opposition in this class. She is a v good mover, just needs to put a bit more into showing. Fem, wedge shaped head. Dark eyes, ears ok. Has a lengthy neck. Fairly good front. Ribs go well back. Slight slope to croup. Well angulated rear.
2. Fithern's Vallier Enuf Isenuf
Looks v up in the air at the moment. Lengthy head, just slightly pinched under the eyes. Long neck, angulation is v well balanced. Level topline. Scored in feet over 3. Ok out and back, just needs a bit more stride in front.
3. Phillips' Katrina des Fumees du Nord
Post Grad Bitch
1. Coombes' Fennican Elegance under Mystarz
Holds a slightly better shape on move than 2. Really good head, correct length and balance, v fem. lovely eye and expression. Good length of neck. Could have a better lay of shoulder. Grand body. Well made rear. Low hocks. Holds a level topline. Feet could be tighter.
2. Amon's Pepperthyme Golden Pippin
V different type of b, could be just a bit more fem. lengthy neck. Quite a good front, but just needs a bit more depth of chest. Well ribbed back. Not topline of 1 on move. Well set tail. Moderate hind angulation. Thick coat.
3. Phillips' Starvon Willamina
1. Maddern's Upton Riddle
Good honest workmanlike sort of b. Has a well balanced head, correct stop, lovely eye and expression. Enough neck. Well laid shoulder. Could have slightly longer upper arm and be tidier in front action. Well sprung ribs, short loin. Moderate hind angulation. Could be firmer in topline. Nice feet. In super muscle and coat.
1. West's Ch Starvon Rumour Has It
Really super b. Well balanced, fem head. Correct stop, lovely ears. Dark eyes. Lengthy neck. Well laid shoulder. Super body and rib. Level topline, slight slope to croup. Enough hind angulation, could just have slightly better hind feet, tends to stand on back of her pads. Sound mover. Coat is ok. V sound mover. RBIS
Both sound movers winner just a bit better in head and topline. Both quite similar for type, good feet and balanced angulation.
1. Upton Rebus
2. Starvon Willamina
Jeff Horswell (Judge)